Sunday, June 17, 2012

Blog Post #3


Peer Editing1.) Peer Reviewing

Peer reviewing is a necessary process of writing. Without it, teachers would be plagued with reading all of our unnoticed and simple errors. For years I have always based the quality of my paper from peer reviews. However, from watching the videos  What is Peer Editing and Writing and Peer Editing Top 10 Mistakes, I realized that I shouldn’t be so critical of myself as well as my peers.

When reviewing a student’s paper, it is always best to let them know what you liked about their paper first. That way the student won’t feel like their paper is horrible. A great suggestion that I received from a past English teacher is to name three strengths and three weaknesses. When editing a paper always be clear about what needs to be fixed but never sound bossy or demanding.

Through my experience with peer editing, I have become a stronger writer. Whenever I have a paper to write, I will always take my paper to one of my peers for review. My peers always catch mistakes that I easily look over. Ultimately, peer reviewing really makes a difference in my overall grade.



2a)
The video Technology in Special Education was very informative. This video opened my eyes to how important technology is for special needs students. My generation is known for being tech savvy which means that our learning capabilities excel very fast. Because we are so technologically inclined, life is a bit easier. Technology helps give special needs children a voice as well as independence.

The video Technology in Special Education proved that technology is a learning aid where as many people believe it is a hindrance in schools. In this situation, students were able to use iPods, laptops and smart boards to make learning easier and fun. Students were able to finish assignments faster and work independently. Technology is a necessary part of learning and should be implemented in more schools.

2b)
Although an Ipad is bit expensive it can be used extensively for teaching children. There are literally thousands of apps, so finding an app for a specific child would be easy. The reason the Ipad works so well for education is that the child is having fun while learning. It keeps them engaged and makes them interact to gain knowledge. An app that I found useful for any class room was “Read along”. This app enables children to read along with the Ipad. The book could be about their favorite cartoons or television shows. For example, if a student of mine loves Sponge Bob, he or she can read about Sponge Bob along with the Ipad. So if it is a word that the student does not know, this app will sound out the sentence for them. This app would encourage students to be excited about reading.

3) The movie Harness Your Students’ Digital Smarts showed how Mrs. Vicki Davis, a wonderful teacher in rural Georgia, used technology to enrich the minds of her students. Her enthusiasm was captivating as well as inspiring. She has a sincere motive to get her students be active thinkers. By incorporating modern technology, students were able to meet people from around the world.

Mrs. Davis is widely recognized for her initiative to incorporate the use of technology in today’s schools. It is refreshing to see a teacher so enthused about teaching students. She shares a mutual learning bond from her students because she learns new things from them. Mrs. Davis believes that if she can teacher her students to think on a higher level, then they will be more successful later on in life. I agree with Mrs. Davis and applaud her for her efforts. I believe that if you learn how to accurately access technology, you will have the key to infinite knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment